Doctors’ shock after pulling out eight spoons and a KNIFE from stomach
Doctors’ shock after pulling out a KNIFE, eight spoons, screwdrivers, toothbrushes and a metal bar from the stomach of a 35-year-old who complained of unbearable pain
- Doctors also retrieved two toothbrushes, two screwdrivers and a metal bar
- The unnamed man from India reportedly suffers with a psychiatric disorder
- His habits had led to a knife puncturing a hole in his stomach
Doctors in India were shocked to discover eight spoons and a knife inside a man’s stomach.
The 35-year-old, who has not been named, had been complaining of unbearable pain, according to local reports.
Emergency surgery was performed when it was discovered the tip of a knife had punctured a hole in his stomach.
Two screwdrivers and two toothbrushes were among the bizarre objects also taken out, the doctors reportedly said.
It is believed the man’s eating habit was caused by a psychiatric disorder which has not been revealed.
Doctors were shocked when they surgically removed eight spoons and a knife from an Indian man’s stomach after he was complaining of pain. Pictured, the items straight from the stomach covered in food, surrounded by other pieces of medical equipment
Two screwdrivers, two toothbrushes and a metal bar were among the bizarre objects also taken out, the doctors reportedly. Pictured, the full line up of contents
Emergency surgery was performed when it was discovered during an X-ray that there were eight spoons (pictured) and a knife tip had punctured a hole in the man’s stomach
A three hour operation was urgently performed (pictured) at Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India, on an unclear date
The man was referred to Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh to get to the bottom of what was causing his agony.
When an X-ray was performed, doctors were baffled to see the spoons in his stomach – which it appears the patient had not been aware of.
But it was only the tip of the iceberg.
The team could see a knife in a dangerous position, apparently piercing through the man’s stomach.
Pica is an eating disorder that is characterised by the desire to eat items with little or no nutritional value.
These can include anything from stones, sand, paint and dirt to talcum powder.
It is most common in people with learning disabilities and during pregnancy.
It can cause a range of serious complications if the person is eating something that is poisonous or indigestible.
These include being poisoned by toxic ingredients and having a part of the body obstructed (which is often seen in people who eat hair).
It can also lead to excessive calorie intake, but also nutritional deprivation if the person eats a substance with no nutritional value instead of nutritious foods.
The person can also damage their teeth and be infected with parasites.
A three hour operation was urgently performed to clear the metal before it could do more harm.
One of the doctors, whose name has not been revealed, said: ‘We could already see the tip of the knife protruding from inside his stomach.
‘Later we operated him without wasting any time but discovered more objects inside.
‘There was a knife, eight spoons, two screwdrivers and two toothbrushes inside as we continued to operate his stomach.’
A short cylinder metal bar is also pictured on the line up of objects retrieved from the surgery, of which the date is unclear.
It is understood the man was suffering with a psychiatric disorder, which may have prompted him to eat the objects.
The patient is now being cared for by his family, local reports state.
Although a diagnosis has not clearly been reported, there are some disorders with characterized by his eating habits.
Pica, for example, is an eating disorder whereby the person cannot help eating items that are not food including dirt, talcum powder and metal objects.
It often occurs alongside mental health disorders that impair functioning, such as autism or schizophrenia.
The prevalence of pica is not known but it most likely is more prevalent in developing countries, according to The National Eating Disorders Associations.
Source: Read Full Article